Commonwealth Headquarters
Welcome to the Commonwealth Headquarters. You are currently a guest. You can continue viewing our forums or register now for free. Registering removes the advertisements!

Thanks,
Commonwealth Leadership
Welcome to the Commonwealth Headquarters. You are currently a guest. You can continue viewing our forums or register now for free. Registering removes the advertisements!

Thanks,
Commonwealth Leadership
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Headquarters of the Merivian Commonwealth Factions

Latest imagesMobileHomeRegisterPortalLog inOE Social

Item 7: Cloaking vs Jump Inhibitors

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Unfrozen Jon

Unfrozen Jon

Item 7: Cloaking vs Jump Inhibitors Empty
PostSubject: Item 7: Cloaking vs Jump Inhibitors   Item 7: Cloaking vs Jump Inhibitors I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 5:55 pm

Quote :
Next week's vote is a choice between two major procurements, cloaking or jump inhibitors.

Cloaking would hide a ship's signature, and enable players to sneak up on others, or cruise through a system unmolested.

Jump inhibitors would keep another ship from jumping.

Pretty self-explanatory, but if anyone has any questions, or would like to state their reasons why one should be preferred over the other, please post them here.

Thank You.

Quote :
I've been speaking with the government scientists regarding these two new developments, I will share with you all I have learned to date.

First off, I'd like to clear up a misunderstanding about procurement. Welcome to the wonderful world of government procurement. Selecting something does not mean that particular advancement has been fully developed. In some cases, researchers still have to work out the details, hence the time it is taking on salvage cranes. Everyone's request for more information is commendable, I like that everyone wants to make an informed decision, but the Councilors are also voting on the development of a concept that needs to be researched, not just on the release of a finished product.

That all said, here's what the researchers have reported to date on the two advancements:

Jump Inhibitors:

It would be a part that would take up eng cap, similar to a jump drive. There would be small, medium and large sizes.
Inhibitors would keep anyone within range from jumping. Approximately four would deter anyone from jumping out of the target system. The four would need to be spread to the four corners of the system, of course. One aspect of the jump inhibitors will likely be range.

Cloaking/ Stealth: Cloaking is a bit more involved, although similar in nature. It consists of two parts, an optical device, and material coating. The optical device is the main generator of the cloaking, it takes up eng space, and will be ship sized accordingly (small, medium, or large). Material coating will pieces needed to cover your ship. A certain piece will cover a certain eng space. To get a full stealth rating, you will have to cover all of your eng space. If someone has a better stealth rating than you, you will not be able to see them.

I hope that explains it better, as I've been told that is as much information as is available at the moment.
Back to top Go down
https://oemerivia.forumotion.com
Unfrozen Jon

Unfrozen Jon

PostSubject: Re: Item 7: Cloaking vs Jump Inhibitors   Item 7: Cloaking vs Jump Inhibitors I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 5:57 pm

I am watching the lively discussion on the OE forums regarding this. Currently I am still open to either side but personally think Jump Inhibitors would be a sounder investment at the moment.

I will see how the rest of the discussion and info from the Dev's goes before making a firm decision.
Back to top Go down
Unfrozen Jon

Unfrozen Jon

PostSubject: Re: Item 7: Cloaking vs Jump Inhibitors   Item 7: Cloaking vs Jump Inhibitors I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 12:43 pm

The vote passed in favour of Jump Inhibitors.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Item 7: Cloaking vs Jump Inhibitors   Item 7: Cloaking vs Jump Inhibitors I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Item 7: Cloaking vs Jump Inhibitors
Page 1 of 1