Commonwealth Headquarters
Welcome to the Commonwealth Headquarters. You are currently a guest. You can continue viewing our forums or register now for free. Registering removes the advertisements!

Thanks,
Commonwealth Leadership
Welcome to the Commonwealth Headquarters. You are currently a guest. You can continue viewing our forums or register now for free. Registering removes the advertisements!

Thanks,
Commonwealth Leadership
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Headquarters of the Merivian Commonwealth Factions

Latest imagesMobileHomeRegisterPortalLog inOE Social

Item 3: Government Reforms

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Unfrozen Jon

Unfrozen Jon

Item 3: Government Reforms Empty
PostSubject: Item 3: Government Reforms   Item 3: Government Reforms I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 5:16 pm

Since the First Council is moving through the agenda quickly President Corvallis has decided to spend next week discussing Government reforms. I touched on the need for government reforms on top of election reforms during the Presidency discussion.

President Corvallis:

Quote :
Councilors,

We have successfully navigated through three votes so far in this term.

Next week, we are reviewing how we might change the government.

So as not to bias the debate, I'd like to open the floor now to what issues you would like to address in terms of government reform.

Unfrozen Jon:

I wil repost my previous Government reform suggestion:

The President holds limited power currently, just the responsibility of choosing which issues are tabled but yes I understand the concern that this could be abused very easily.

Thats why in addition to election reforms we need government reforms.
First government reform proposal:

If the Council believes that the President is acting unfairly a Councilor may call a vote of confidence which would require another Councilor to second it to go up for vote. Three votes would need to vote against confidence in the President for it to pass. This would be an extreme measure to limit the unilateral power of the President and ensure that any with dictatorial ambition do not see the Presidency as viable for their ambitions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As for choosing the President for the next election I still believe it should be a vote by the elected Councilors. The galaxy's Pilots chose these representatives and put their faith in them, it should be up to them to safeguard the interests of the galaxy in choosing the President.

Now I ask Pilots to post any suggestions or ideas for Government Reforms. While we can only process so many votes and changes any good ideas will be voiced and kept on record for when they can be voted upon.
Back to top Go down
https://oemerivia.forumotion.com
Unfrozen Jon

Unfrozen Jon

PostSubject: Re: Item 3: Government Reforms   Item 3: Government Reforms I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 10:51 pm

Lots of good ideas are being brainstormed in the OE Forums on this.

I am asking all Pilots to become more active in the public discussions. We have several players that are quite active in government issues but we need more. The government can only serve the player base if the player base makes itself involved with the government.

Spread the word.

OE Forums
Back to top Go down
Rikk Slinger

PostSubject: Re: Item 3: Government Reforms   Item 3: Government Reforms I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 6:00 pm

I would but I don't even understand what they're really talking about in this latest item.
Back to top Go down
Unfrozen Jon

Unfrozen Jon

PostSubject: Re: Item 3: Government Reforms   Item 3: Government Reforms I_icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 12:24 pm

We're looking to institute some policies to make the Government better.

The one I suggested was a President no confidence (removal) vote. This would be if we had a President that did not listen to the rest of the Council or OE Pilots and just pursued a personal agenda or if the President became unable to participate (real life issues).

We are also looking at reserving 5-10% of the Government budget each term so that we have a surplus that could be used in an emergency.

Another other issue that may be put on the backburner while we continue to brainstorm how to effectively do it is for a policy to ensure that Pilots from different factions, political parties, etc get in to the Government.

It's preventative measures but the primary mission of the First Council is to establish everything (future Government policies, Elections, etc) so that future Councils can focus more on game enhancements.
Back to top Go down
Rikk Slinger

PostSubject: Re: Item 3: Government Reforms   Item 3: Government Reforms I_icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 8:25 pm

Thanks for that! I have now posted my views.
Back to top Go down
Unfrozen Jon

Unfrozen Jon

PostSubject: Re: Item 3: Government Reforms   Item 3: Government Reforms I_icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 1:29 pm

Ultimately there will be only one Government reform at this time.

Quote :
Please choose one of the following:
Mandate 3 votes needed in order to impeach a president with dev approval of motion
Mandate 4 votes needed in order to impeach a president with dev approval of motion

Four votes would make an impeachment very difficult unless due to a Presidents absense. Three votes could make the Government unstable and at the mercy of confidence motions (Canadians know all about this).

I am planning on going with four votes to preserve stability.
Back to top Go down
Unfrozen Jon

Unfrozen Jon

PostSubject: Re: Item 3: Government Reforms   Item 3: Government Reforms I_icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 2:17 pm

After listening to some good points I have considered that four votes would effectively remove this as a deterrent to dictatorship.

I voted for three votes. It should be difficult to accomplish but not so difficult that it does not deter dictatorship.
Back to top Go down
Unfrozen Jon

Unfrozen Jon

PostSubject: Re: Item 3: Government Reforms   Item 3: Government Reforms I_icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 5:56 pm

Just waiting for Dev certification but the vote has passed to require four votes to impeach the President. It was 3-1 with one abstaining.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Item 3: Government Reforms   Item 3: Government Reforms I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Item 3: Government Reforms
Page 1 of 1