Commonwealth Headquarters
Welcome to the Commonwealth Headquarters. You are currently a guest. You can continue viewing our forums or register now for free. Registering removes the advertisements!

Thanks,
Commonwealth Leadership

Headquarters of the Merivian Commonwealth Factions

MobileHomeRegisterPortalLog inOE Social

Share | 

Light Peak...WOW!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Unfrozen Jon

PostSubject: Light Peak...WOW!   Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:30 pm

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/09/26/apple-and-intel-collaborate-on-next-generation-light-peak-connectors/

Intel has announced at IDF, not only a new connector but one that utilizes fibre optics rather than copper. The article gives a lot of info but for anyone who wants the quick and dirty: fibre optics are great: almost zero signal loss so they can be 5miles long and still pump out 1080P, the cable can power an HD tv while transfering data at crazy fast speeds that will make USB 3.0 seem slow, and of course it can replace every connector on a computer minus the power while having very tiny connectors.

Great news, it just pushed back my plans to buy a new MacBook Pro in Jan/Feb I'm waiting out for this. Oh yeah and the best implication for this: iPhones and iPod Touches.

Last edited by Unfrozen Jon on Mon May 10, 2010 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://OEMerivia.forumotion.com
Alpha Omega

PostSubject: Re: Light Peak...WOW!   Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:18 am

lol to add on the speed of fiber optics, it goes at the speed of light, as it's literally light that travels down carrying the signal Very Happy Dare you to find something faster
Back to top Go down
Unfrozen Jon

PostSubject: Re: Light Peak...WOW!   Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:46 am

I use fibre at work in both the lightweight cables and the ruggedized reals (that weigh a tonne), I'm curious to see how intel will keep the cables small and lightweight while making them strong. Their first cable due in fall 2010 will have transfer speeds of 10Gbps but like you say it can go at the speed of light, so the tech has a long weigh to go from there.

I wonder if even SSD's will ever be able to keep up.
Back to top Go down
Alpha Omega

PostSubject: Re: Light Peak...WOW!   Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:48 pm

lol The only thing that's limiting the speed is how fast the machines can interpret the information and send it out. I'm likewise curious =)

I have no first hand experience with Fiber Optics, but know the principles on which they work.
Back to top Go down
Unfrozen Jon

PostSubject: Re: Light Peak...WOW!   Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:00 pm

I'm looking forward to this getting embraced and replacing usb, hdmi and all the other cluttered connectors. I was psyched for usb 3.0(3Gbps transfers) and hdmi 1.4(1080P, audio, as well as 3D video support and networking) but taking it a step further to replace copper cables is a great initative.

I am waiting out for usb 3.0, which should be in devices this winter, to get a new thumb drive for work. My old 8gb has been through a lot and now transfers at a snails pace...might have something to do with it coming apart several times.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Light Peak...WOW!   

Back to top Go down

Light Peak...WOW!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1